Skip to main content

Thoughts on (review) L' Art de la Guerre

 

I have played a couple of games of this now and watched one more. Not an expert but enough to share my opinion.

 

It’s mixed

 

I have enjoyed my games and will enjoy several more but I would caution the general recommendation for this rule set that gets chucked out regularly on reddit when anyone asks for a medieval or ancients ruleset.

Hannibal surveys the field from behind  his gallic infantry

 

I will stick the boot in first then end on the positives.

 

As a simulationist by preference this game is nonsense. A generalist ruleset is going to struggle to represent the nuances of warfare in a specific era. I should not be surprised that the way elephants are used is not that similar to their historical deployment, or that running three lines of republic romans is a bad idea however I’m not sure that these rules represent any ancient or medieval warfare in a particularly meaningful way.

 

Let’s start with the victory conditions. Your army routs when you lose roughly 1/3 to 1/2 your units. Each unit counts as 2 points and each unit with a cohesion hit but still in the field counts as 1. When these total to the number of units in your army you lose. This in itself is fine, a clear simple rule.

 

However, a group of light skirmishers is equal in value to a block of heavy pikemen or elite cavalry. The loss of the peasant javlin men is the same as the loss of the Teutonic knights. This has a weird effect. It is beneficial to hunt down enemy skirmishers and light troops, equally a wise commander needs to invest a proportion of their command points keeping their light troops out of danger.  This doesn’t reflect generalship in any era I am aware of. In the ancient world armies such as Rome did not care about what happened to the velites, medieval armies were not very concerned about their skirmishers either. Equally such light troops were responsible for themselves, not micromanaged out of harms way.

 

My Spanish and Punic cav being their march around the Indian flank


Micromanagement and manoeuvre is the second obvious issue. These rules are an evolution of the WRG – DBX linage. And whilst they may be an improvement (im not sure having not played the heritage) they are the same idea and ethos. This is a tournament ruleset first and foremost.

 

To give an example from this evenings game. My opponent could have double enveloped me using the slide rule. In any move a group may slide sideways up to one base width. A simple rule designed to allow relatively small moves without the faff of turns and wheels. His intention was to slide his entire army to the left around the edge of the marsh to get a flank bonus on both sides of my army (his line was longer than mine). In and of itself this seems fair enough but from a historical perspective it is rather weird. If his army represents a few tens of thousands of men and elephants he is effectively asking them to side step in unison for a few hundred meters following the edge of a swamp and then to charge. I can think of no army in history that manoeuvred in such a manner. Maybe an army of horse archers might do such a thing.

 

In the game he rolled in sufficient command pips to do it, and my skirmishers made it more difficult.

 

The lines close

 

The rules run around 80 pages. By volume this is hard to internalise unless you are really into them. To play well you want to know the rules well as mastery of the movement rules in particular confers a significant advantage. When to slide, how to exploit the zone of control rules etc. It is in the detailed application of these rules that you can tie your opponent down or spring a surprise trap. Great for a detailed strategy game but unsettling for the simulationist in me.

 

That’s enough grouching about it being a fiddley set of tournament rules. Onto the positives.

 

The set up pregame is quite good. Having more light horse and infantry confers a scouting bonus, this combined with a die roll allows on side to choose the landscape to fight in (forest, plains, mountains etc). Further rolls are made for terrain and then the players assemble their battle plan. This plan at its most basic includes deployment but can also include ambushes and flank marches. Its quite clever and allows for a lot of variability in set up.

 

It is quite fast playing and the battles do look impressive. DBX basing whilst cheap (a unit is 2-8 men) does look rather pathetic if you only have a few units. L’Arts armies will typically be around 25 units or more. It does feel epic once the lines get moving. Games seem to reliably finish in around 2 hours.

 

My light cav couldn't fit an elephant, but did lock down units from charging



It is also a fairly deep game. I’m not sure it’s a depth I particularly want. Part of the depth is in list building. I do actually enjoy this but it could get very expensive very quickly. It would appear that being able to min-max out on elite units and cheap padding units is a good approach. This would require one to buy the right mix and then buy more if the balance is not quite right. I own about 30% more Carthaginians than I need for a given list so I have some wiggle room, but already I could justify spending another £40 to optimise my list in another direction.

 

That seems like a neutral point.

 

 

Overall I am happy with the games I have played but I don’t think this is a blanket recommendation.

 

I learned a few things from this evenings defeat at the hands of the Indians;

 

Ø  Cavalry can get around your opponents flank, but it is too slow to hit home before your main line crumbles. If I were to go with cavalry on one flank again I would hold my infantry back to buy more time for the cav to have an impact. This could result in the cav being isolated and killed however.

Ø  Light infantry should be minimised unless you know how to micro them effectively. I had too much light cav and light infantry in my force. They caused zero casualties (partly poor rolling) but more than that gave away many points in losses (see comments above).

Ø  Using leaders to shore up the line by rallying cohesion points off is not very effective. In the past I have played a lot of the Great Battles of History series by GMT. In those games using leaders to steady the line is a good strategy. Here it only works if you roll very well. I’d go with cheaper leaders in future as there is little benefit to doing this.

 

 

The central melee spreads


In the medium term I will be looking for a more casual rule set. I have not decided whether to pick up Age of Hannibal, or Sword and Spear or Hail Caesar. The latter may by reputation be a bit simple. Sword and Spear looks historically generic but quite fun and quite cheap.

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Looks: Cimean War Battles - Tchernaya River

 A quick one today I traded off Across the Narva by Revolution Games (should post something on this) for an oldish (2000) copy of an S&T magazine. The mag came with two battles reprinted from the 1978 Quad game on the Crimean War. The full Quad also contained Inkerman and Balaklava, this magazine version just has Tchernaya River and Alma. Initial setup Early SPI games (and actually GDW and AH come to think of it) of the 70s tend to have lots of rules you already know. I go, U go, movement, fire, melee, rally, and most of the rules are standard. Command and control rules and friction of war arrived a lot later. To couter this I have added a simple house rule. For each division (units are brigates and regiments, about 2-8 per division) roll. On a 1 in 6 movement is halved unless the unit can charge, in which case it must charge the nearest enemy.  A simple easy to apply rule for generating those light brigade charges. You could also easily convert this to a chit pull game by division

Wilderness War is probably the best CDG (review)

One attribute of a good war game is that it opens up rather than narrows down the more you play it. Each time you play you see there is more strategic depth than you thought there was. When I first started playing Wilderness War, a card driven wargame design (CDG) on the French Indian War by Volko Runke, I thought it was simply a case of the British building a large kill stack and marching it up the Hudson and the French trying to get enough victory points (vps) from raiding to win before the inevitable. The outcome would likely be decided by card play and who got the reinforcement cards when they needed them. The game is afoot.  Four games later I have realised that this is not the case. Yes the British will sometimes win by marching a big army up the Hudson and sieging out Montreal, but a lot of the time things will play out quite differently. Maybe the French strike first, perhaps the British realise that going up the Hudson is going to be a slog try another route. Ei

Quick Looks; Red Star / White Eagle

I generally hate it when people describe designs or ideas in games as dated, because many of the most innovative games  are older than I am. Equally it implies there is something innately good about new designs, which I don't think there is. Dune is arguably the best multiplayer 'war' boardgame and the 70s basic DnD is in my view still the best RPG. I wasn't born until the late 80s and didn't discover these things to the mid 2000s so this isn't nostalgia doing my thinking, its just that some old ideas are better than new ones, despite our apparent 'progress'. Back when Roger B MacGowan did cool art house covers But having said all this Red Star / White Eagle is a dated game design. And this matters if you are looking at popping £70 on a new reprint of it from Compass Games. I am a wary cheapskate so I picked up a second hand copy with a trashed box of ebay for £20. It was worth it, but only just. Poles have just been creamed on the south we